Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Quilting Class

My friend Cathy asked if I'd like to take a quilting class with her. I have always wanted to learn to make quilts, so I am there. She has been before but I had never been. This is our classroom. It's at the local high school. As you can see there are quite a few women who attend. Most of them have been going for quite some time and they are good friends and everyone has a lot of fun talking about each others quilts and lots of other things to do with everyday life. They are a great group and it's always a pleasure being there.




This is Cathy. She is working on a quilt she started years ago while attending these classes.



Here are the quilt pieces she is making. Isn't it pretty? She says people come in there with beautiful fabrics and some come in with what she thinks are ugly ones. But in the end when all the pieces are put together.. the quilts are always beautiful! I am really excited to be here.



Here is my first square for my quilt. It's just a sample. It's far from perfect. It's the first one I made.. but I didn't have a pattern. I just made it myself, so it's a really off in places. I have made a more perfect pattern now and have just begun my first square for the quilt. We actually had a quilt on our bed with baskets like this but we lost it in the fire. I always loved that quilt so I'm trying to make one like it. Hopefully, it will turn out as nice as the one we had.



This lady has been using the "Long Arm" quilting machine for a couple of weeks now. Her name is Kathy/Cathy. I'm not sure how she spells it. We actually have several Kathy/Cathy's in our class. That just makes it more interesting. When your quilt squares are all done and sewn together, you put the batting in and spray some adhesive onto it to hold the layers together, then use the "Long Arm" to sew it together. You can always sew it by hand but the "Long Arm is so much easier and faster. You just kind of make your own swirly design. I don't know if you can see hers or not on the close up further down. Our teacher, Nikki, is on the left.



I really like this quilt. I think I will make one like it for my next quilt! Of course the one I'm working on now will probably take me years to make.. since I am just learning. But there are so many quilts I have seen there that I would love to make. But this one is definitely my favorite. The quilt was finished last night and here is the finished product, with a few close ups.



The petals are not sewn down so when you wash it, they ravel a little and curl a bit and it looks more 3D and shabby chic. I just think it's adorable! She is going to give this to her mother-in-law. She says she is worth every precious moment she has taken to make it. Isn't that awesome!?

7 comments:

CATHY said...

The pics of the quilt are beautiful. I can't wait to finish the one I am working on and get started on the French Rose.
So much fun! I am glad that you are there too.

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Dore! How fun!! I have always wanted to give quilting a try, but have not had the time. Some day...
I wanted to tell you that there is "photo-sensitive" fabric that would make awesome material for quilting. You can put photo negatives, transparencies, or pretty much anything on it, and then place it in the sun for a minute, then rinse it in cold water to deactivate it, and the design is permanently tranferred to the fabric. I made some neat pieces using spanish moss, bark, and nuts. They came out looking like alien landscapes! A family tree quilt with pictures has always been my dream project :)
Love you! ~Bambi

Dore' said...

The photo negative thing sounds fun but I think a family tree quilt with picture would be really neat!

CATHY said...

Love the new header........great job!

It won't be long said...

HI Dore' all this quilting looks like some serious work to me. I don't think I have the patience for it, but it sure is pretty.
I have a question. Cathy mentioned a website about a "conspiracy theory" regarding something going down in Oct.? Would you email the info to me?
helen.witherspoon@gmail.com
Thanks. HI

Natalie said...

wow, you're blogging again! I finally stopped going to your blog because I didn't think you would ever be back, but here you are!

Dore' said...

Yep, I finally got the equipment I needed to get the pictures off of my camera. I'm enjoying blogging but I have a lot learn.